Tuesday 4 November 2014

Choice.


Such a simple word.  It's merely the presence of option.  Or is it?  To me, choice has always been and most likely will continue to be the villain inside that allows my most criticized quality to escape and release it's wrath upon the world.   Lets just say I can be a little "indecisive".

In the midst of last nights political election, I got thinking about how having a sense of choice is something to be grateful for.  It represents our freedom to vote, or in my case, not to vote. I received a ton of backlash over my choice to avoid the polls yesterday.  Yes, I get it. People have fought for my right as a woman to vote.   But a right is no longer a responsibility.  We live in an age where we are littered with options and forced towards consumption, so how is it practical that we are encouraged to choose the future of our city by choosing what's behind door #1, #2 or #3.  I doubt there's a new car behind any of them.

 I'm just over a week into this little project of mine, and I'm quickly realizing how uncomfortable I am with making decisions from an emotional standpoint.  In my work life, I am extremely practical.  I'm solution-oriented and would rather get to the bottom of things rather than let them dwell.  In my personal life, that's not the case. Call it the "where do you want to go for dinner?" syndrome.   Wait a second, 'I' get to make a decision for my own benefit?  Now that I have the option, maybe I don't want Italian anymore.....maybe I want Thai.....or Mexican....can I just get ice cream for dinner?

Coming up with 30 events, activities goals and experiences is so much more difficult than I thought it would be. Where do I start? How do I narrow it down? Can I afford this? Will I have time to fit everything in?

We'll just like this blog, I need to start somewhere. It's been interesting having my friends and family share their responses of things they wish they had done before they left their 20's behind.   I appreciate everyone sharing their thoughts with me.  What I've learned from this is that everyone has their reasons for regrets. Different experiences will have different meanings to different people.   And that's fine. But nothing anyone shared actually resignated with me. It didn't bring me any closer to creating my map because my route is my own.   And so instead of asking for directions, I'm just going to grab my keys and drive. Because the first step to getting to where you want be, is leaving where you are.

Peace, love, M.

No comments:

Post a Comment